As we bill telemedicine mental health and substance use disorder services for the foreseeable future, we have a question:
Because of the added complexity of the technology, is it appropriate to use the add-on code 90785?
Interactive complexity refers to factors that complicate the delivery of a mental health procedure, as defined:
You should use this CPT code when one or more of the following is present in a session:
- When delivery of care is complicated due managing maladaptive communication among involved parties.
- Examples of maladaptive communication include:
- high anxiety
- high reactivity
- repeated questioning or disagreement
- In a case where the implementation treatment plan is hindered due to caregiver emotions or behaviors.
- When a discussion of a sentinel event and/or mandated report to a third party is initiated with the patient and any other participants.
- Child Services/Elder Abuse Services etc.
- When patients require equipment, devices, interpreters, or translators to work around impediments to diagnostic or therapeutic interaction with a patient.
- Patients who require this include:
- patients who are not fluent in the same language as the provider
- patients who have not developed receptive language skills and are unable to understand typical language
- patients who have lost receptive language skills and are unable to understand typical language.
Any insight is appreciated.
Customer support service by UserEcho